Tons of tainted water leaking into ocean from Fukushima


TOKYOA Japanese government official said Wednesday approximately 300 tons of contaminated water is leaking into the Pacific Ocean each day from the crippled Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant, the Reuters news agency reports.

The official also told reporters Tokyo believes the water has been leaking into the ocean for two years.

The statement came after Prime Minister Shinzo Abe pledged Wednesday to step up government efforts to stem radioactive water leakage, Reuters adds.

Abe ordered the Minister of Economy, Trade and Industry to urgently deal with the water situation and ensure that the plant’s operator, Tokyo Electric Power Co, takes appropriate steps to handle the cleanup, which is expected to take more than 40 years and cost $11 billion.

Tokyo Electric had said earlier that it was struggling to stop contaminated underground water from leaking into the sea.

The utility said some of the water was seeping over or around an underground barrier it had created by injecting chemicals into the soil that solidified into a wall.

The seepage involves underground water that built up over the last month, since the company began creating the chemical walls to stop leaks after it detected radiation spikes in water samples in May.

TEPCO spokesman Yoshikazu Nagai said Tuesday the company was slow to deal with the underground water leaks because it was focusing on cooling the damaged reactors, which posed greater risks.

Three reactors at the Fukushima Dai-ichi plant suffered meltdowns after a massive March 2011 earthquake and tsunami destroyed power and cooling systems. The plant is still running on makeshift equipment and has been plagued with blackouts and leaks from underground tanks.

TEPCO has been repeatedly criticized for delays in handling and disclosing problems at the plant. Alarmed by the latest problem, a panel of officials from local towns and villages rushed to the plant Tuesday for an inspection, demanding TEPCO limit the impact on the sea.

Japan’s nuclear watchdog set up a separate special panel with TEPCO and met Friday to assess the water problem and discuss ways to resolve it. Watchdog officials have urged TEPCO to pump the contaminated water inland and expand underground and seawater sampling. TEPCO is also building more chemical walls around the plant.

TEPCO officials were unable to answer many of the watchdog officials’ questions, including ones about the leaks’ origin, their routes and how they can be plugged. They also acknowledged that they have neglected large amounts of highly contaminated water that has remained in maintenance trenches since the crisis, a risk also cited by the watchdog.

“It’s a race against the clock,” said Toyoshi Fuketa, a commissioner of the Nuclear Regulation Authority. “The top priority is to keep the water from escaping into the sea.”

Officials acknowledged last month for the first time that the plant has been leaking radioactive water into the ocean for some time. After a major leak a month after the meltdowns, TEPCO said it had contained the problem and denied further underground leaks into the ocean were occurring, although many experts suspected they were.


CBS News has the full article

You may also like...